Those who are unable to relish autumn often focus on the darkness in late afternoon, cooler temperatures, frost in the morning, the chore of raking leaves, an early snowfall. But for other people, including myself, autumn is the best time of the year. Here are six reasons why autumn is a season to savour:
- Fall Colours. By mid October, the leaves on the birch, maple, and Oak trees are changing colour. Autumn is like one of Tom Thomson’s landscape paintings. This makes it a delightful time of year to turn on the digital camera and capture the fall landscape— red, yellow, gold, and other earth tones. The autumn foliage also inspires many people to carry out various activities, such as taking a drive to the country to view the fall colours, attending a fall fair to purchase a pumpkin or the farmer’s harvest, journeying on a weekend trip to a camp site in Algonquin park, getting away for a few days to relaxing by the fire place, drinking apple cider at a lodge.
- Autumn Sports Scene. Fall is a busy season for passionate sports fans. Hockey lovers look forward to the regular NHL season. The first puck drops on October 8th this year. In October, baseball fans can watch the playoffs and the World Series. The NFL football season is also in full swing, with games on the television Thursday nights, Sunday afternoons and evening, and Monday nights. Basketball begins in November.
- Fall Weather. Cooler weather prompts people to break the routine of wearing summer clothes and change into fall fashion—caps, leather jackets, sweaters, and boots. With the humidity and heat gone, autumn is a good time to engage in physical fitness, such as jogging or bike riding, or hiking in the woods. Cooler weather means the farmer’s will pick their harvest, and so fall is the best time to purchase fresh apples, pumpkins, potatoes and many types other fruit and vegetables from the corner store or supermarket or directly from farmers who often have stands at the side of the road in front of their farms.
- Thanksgiving. It’s a day to cook a turkey dinner with all the trimmings, to socialize with friends and family, and to give thanks for what people are blessed with—good health, work, family. Thanksgiving weekend also provides most people with an extra day to relax and enjoy the leisure time away from the stress and grind of work.
- Halloween. Those who are creative have an excuse to decorate their homes with carved pumpkins, candles, spider webs, skeletons, tomb stones, and other Halloween symbols. Film lovers of the horror genre typically delight in watching the classic slasher films, such as the “Evil Dead,” “Texas Chain Saw Massacre,” “The Exorcist,” and “Friday the 13th ,” movies that imbue the psyche with images associated with Halloween. Kids relish the yearly ritual of dressing up in various costumes, such as Batman or Dracula, and then trick-or-treating with their parents in the neighborhood. Many adults also delight in trading in their recognizable selves for costumes that manifest their alter egos or dark side, then drinking and dancing and socializing at Halloween parties.
- The Arts. Fall is the best time for book lovers, film fans, music enthusiasts, and television watchers. Many book publishers release their best fiction and nonfiction before Christmas shopping, so book lovers have the opportunity to read a good book. Filmgoers look forward to the new Hollywood releases, several of which will be nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. In fact, most of the ten nominations will be released during the fall season. One of the films getting a lot of pre-release print is “Nightcrawler,” which is getting rave reviews from film critics. Another film getting lots of attention is “The Imitation Game,” voted the People’s Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival.
By the end of September, the new network television season is in full swing, as established sitcoms and dramas, as well as new series, begin on the small screen. This year, several comic book dramas will be aired on network television. One of the shows making noise is “Gotham,” an upcoming television series about a superhero.
Music lovers also delight in the fall, because many of the best music albums for jazz, rock, and pop are released. For instance, fans of the rock band U2 can purchase the CD on October 13th, their first album in more than five years.
Like other seasons of the year, autumn has several characteristics that make it appealing. Each of us has a choice in what we focus our attention on and how we spend our time during the short, splendid season of autumn. Hope you will enjoy it.